Special Range PCA


What is Special Range PCA?

Special Range PCA is categorized by the Law as having an alcohol level between 0.02 and 0.049. It usually applies to any person who is subject to a zero-alcohol limit while driving, such a P1 and P2 provisional licence holders.

There was a change in the law which came into effect from 20 May 2019. Police now have the power to either:

Issue an Infringement notice for a Special range PCA offence; or

Issue a Court Attendance Notice for the offence.

If you receive an infringement notice from the police, you will either be suspended on the spot by the police, or you will receive a letter from RMS at a later date, suspending your driver’s licence.

You have the right to elect to take the matter to Court if you have exceptional circumstances.

Being charged with a Special Range PCA is still regarded as a serious matter, even though it is one of the lowest ranges you can be charged with. If you are convicted by the court, there are penalties including losing your licence.  There are important factors that influence the Magistrate who is sentencing you. One of these is whether you have been convicted for any level of a PCA offence in the previous 5 years.

What can happen to me if I am found Guilty of a Special Range PCA – First Offence?

There are a number of penalties the Magistrate hearing your matter may impose on you. These include:

A criminal conviction is recorded.

A fine of up to $2,200.

An automatic disqualification of your licence for a period of 6 months which can be reduced by the Magistrate to a minimum period of 3 months.

What can happen to me if I am found Guilty of a Special Range PCA – Second or Subsequent Offence?

A criminal conviction is recorded.

A fine up to $3,300.

A minimum disqualification of your licence for a period of 1 month and a maximum disqualification period of 3 months.

An Interlock participation order for 12 months.

This is What Drink Driving Solicitors Can Do for You!

Drink Driving Solicitors can advise you on what the likely outcome to your Special Range PCA. We can prepare your matter, attend court with you, and represent your case in the best possible way to the Magistrate so that you may obtain the best potential outcome, including a possible Section 10 Dismissal of your charges or a conditional release order without conviction.

An office near you

We have offices throughout Sydney & New South Wales.
We also attend country NSW clients by appointment.

We care

We understand that you are not a criminal and we will treat you with respect and dignity. We understand your case is unique and so are your needs, and we will ensure that the Court also are made aware of these, when we are representing you.


arrowDrink Driving Results





arrowOur Reviews

If the police have issued you with a Court Attendance Notice, yes. Otherwise, you will only have to go to Court if you elect to.

An experienced Drink Driving Solicitor can provide you with good advice about what the plea you formally enter to the Court should be and how to best represent your case to the court so that you can obtain the best result possible.
A Warrant may be issued for your arrest. Further, more charges may be made against you.
What is a Repeat Offender?

A repeat offender with respect to a driving offence, is a person whom is convicted for a second or subsequent major offence within a period of 5 years from their last offence.

What is a Major Offence?

A major offence, for the purposes of traffic matters, is defined in the Road Transport Act 2013 NSW. Amongst other major offences, a prior major offence includes a previous conviction of:

1. Drink driving offence;

2. Drug driving offence;

3. Refusal or failure to submit to test, analysis or assessment;

4. Refusal or failure to provide samples or preventing sample taking;

5. Wilful introduction or alteration of concentration or amount of alcohol or other drugs;

6. Negligent, furious or reckless driving;

7. Menacing driving;

8. Failing to stop and assist after impact causing injury;

9. Wounding or grievous bodily harm with intent;

10. Reckless grievous bodily harm or wounding;

11. Injuries by furious driving;

12. Predatory driving;

13. Police pursuits; and/or

14. Dangerous driving and/or navigation.

The above list is not exhaustive. For more information about your prior convictions and if there are considered a major offence, ring Antwan Lawyers now for a confidential discussion.

How Will the Court Treat My Prior Serious Office?

It is important to note that if you are a repeat offender, the Court will treat you differently. One example of this is a repeat offender is not entitled to be afforded leniency of a section 10 conviction order if they have previously been afforded a section 10 for a similar matter in the last 5 years. This means that you may have a conviction recorded against you, be subject to a period of disqualification as well as other penalties.

How Can We Help?

We understand that having a prior conviction can be daunting. We can help you with preparing your matter and making submissions to argue for a reduction of any disqualification period or any other punishment that the Court may deem fit in the circumstances. To get assistance, ring us now on 1300 268 926.

Contact Us Now!


Contact Us Now!